MACHINIST, ACCESSORY SHOP
Department: Heavy Maintenance
Location: North Bay, ON
Job type: Permanent, Full-time
Deadline: September 30, 2022, or until filled
Reports To: Supervisor, Accessory Shop
At Voyageur Aviation Corp., we deliver innovative solutions to customers with unique aviation requirements. We are an integrated provider of specialized aviation services, including, advanced engineering and maintenance capabilities, part sales and logistics management, aircraft leasing, and contract flying operations both internationally and domestically supporting humanitarian missions, cargo, and workforce movements to remote communities. Our headquarters are in North Bay, Ontario, and we are a wholly owned subsidiary of Chorus Aviation Inc.
As a key member of the Heavy Maintenance team, the Machinist will report to the Supervisor, Accessory Shop, and will be responsible for setting up and operating machine tools to produce precision parts and tooling. In addition, this individual will participate in bench work for the fabrication, maintenance, repair, and alteration of aircraft components. Using machine tools such as manual mills, manual lathes, hand grinders, reamers, honing equipment, and hand tools, the Machinist will support all other operations in the Accessory Shop as needed.
What does a Machinist do?
- Load and set aircraft components in machining fixtures and jigs.
- Read and interpret blueprints, component maintenance manuals and repair drawings and follow specified tolerance.
- Repair and maintain aircraft components to required specifications using the required machinery.
- Set and select cutting tool equipment to achieve aircraft design tolerances and dimensional requirements.
- Construct fixtures for part machining.
- Perform bench work necessary to finish and fit parts to required specifications.
- Utilize approved data to assemble aircraft components using proper tooling and ensuring correct tolerances.
- Apply proper labeling information on each unit assembled and complete the applicable work cards.
- Disassemble and prepare parts for machining with the use of hand tools, parts cleaners, and paint removal processes.
- Bearing/bushing removal using hydraulic press, extractor, and milling machine.
- Measuring bores and faces to ensure within specifications.
- Clean, strip and prepare parts for inspection.
What you bring to the table
- 3 years’ experience operating a manual lathe and milling machine.
- Post-secondary education in Machining considered an asset.
- Ability to follow written and verbal directions with strong attention to detail.
- Reliable, responsible, and self-motivated with demonstrated problem solving skills.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and dynamic environment.
- Adaptive to unique challenges of one-off machining repairs.
- Ability to read measuring equipment to 0.0001 inch.
- Machining repeatability to within 0.001 inch.
- Demonstrated organizational and planning skills, including the ability to manage multiple tasks and work under pressure with tight deadlines.
- Competent with Office 365 (Excel).
What we offer
- A starting wage of $25.25/hour, negotiable based on experience and qualifications.
- A comprehensive benefits program, including extended health care benefits, out-of-country insurance, life and disability insurance, retirement pension plan, employee and family assistance plan, and Employee Share Ownership Plan (TSX: CHR).
You must be legally eligible to work for a Canadian company (e.g., be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident of Canada, or possess a valid work permit), provide a clear Criminal Background Check, and be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 in order to be considered for this position.
Voyageur is an employment equity employer, and we welcome all qualified candidates to apply. If you are excited by this opportunity and want to be a part of the Voyageur Team, we encourage all eligible candidates to apply on our website at www.voyav.com. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.