MANAGER, SYSTEMS ENGINEERING
Location: North Bay, Ontario
Job type: Full-time, permanent
At Voyageur Aviation Corp., we deliver innovative solutions to customers with unique aviation requirements. We are an integrated provider of specialized aviation services, including, advanced engineering and maintenance capabilities, part sales and logistics management, aircraft leasing, and contract flying operations both internationally and domestically supporting humanitarian missions, cargo and workforce movements to remote communities. Our headquarters are in North Bay, Ontario, and we are a wholly owned subsidiary of Chorus Aviation Inc.
As a key member of the Engineering team, the Manager, Systems Engineering will report to the Director, Engineering and will be responsible for system design, development, and certification, managing projects from conceptualization to physical development, working with customers and stakeholders to fulfill project requirements, and mentoring and supervising system engineers.
What does a Manager, Systems Engineering do?
- Work with prospective customers to interpret their requirements and develop design concepts, cost and labor estimates, to fulfil customer needs.
- Design conceptual designs, feasibility studies, estimates, and aircraft modification to meet requirements of proposed modification projects.
- Develop required written engineering reports to support the substantiation of projects (i.e., system safety assessment, reliability assessment, risk assessment, EWIS analysis, Functional Hazard Assessment, Electrical Load Analysis) to projects against regulatory (including guidance material), customer and company requirements.
- Prepare audit specifications, drawings, reports, compliance records, test plans and reports, and other needed documentation for engineering projects.
- Generate and submit supplemental aircraft manual documentation as required for repairs and modifications to the fleet (Maintenance Manual Supplements, Flight Manual Supplements, Cargo Loading Manual Supplements, Illustrated Parts List Supplements).
- Manage projects by coordinating each phase of project work, monitoring expenditures and schedules, and ensuring the project meets target milestones and customer requirements.
- Direct and supervise engineering direct reports as to project goals, integration requirements, and technical activities associated with electrical systems undertaken and assigned by the department.
- Develop qualification test plans, coordinate test personnel, and participate in ground test and flight test activities including the generation of risk assessments, pre-test briefings, test procedures, post-test briefings.
- Provide coaching and mentorship to engineering personnel in support of individual professional growth.
- Ensure the Director, Engineering, senior management, and other departments are kept up to date on projects under your purview.
- Liaise with regulatory authorities, vendors, customers, and other external contacts as a representative of the Engineering department and the Company.
- Ensure that all engineering data (Master Drawing List (MDL), Compliance Program, Reports, Drawings, etc.) are completed and in accordance with the TCCA and/or FAA regulatory requirements.
- Review and develop any Instructions for Continued Airworthiness (ICA) or additional Maintenance Inspection Requirements as they relate to modifications or repairs completed.
What you bring to the table
- At least 7 years of engineering experience working on systems and avionics projects.
- Possess a P.Eng Licence or be eligible for registration as a Professional Engineer (P.Eng) within the province of Ontario.
- Bachelor of Engineering from an accredited institution, with a degree in Aerospace Engineering preferred.
- Must be eligible for the Transport Canada Aircraft Certification delegation.
- Transport Canada Aircraft Certification Specialty and Change Product Rule Specialty Training or similar considered an asset.
- Be familiar with Safety Analysis (i.e., SAE ARP 4761), industry certification standards (i.e., DO-160), and regulatory requirements for a wide range of certification projects.
- Possess a detailed familiarity with aircraft systems.
- Experience in managing projects with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrated ability to lead a small team.
- Experience preparing and interpreting electrical and structural technical drawings.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
What we offer
- A comprehensive benefits program, including extended health care benefits, out-of-country insurance, life and disability insurance, retirement pension plan, employee and family assistance plan, and Employee Share Ownership Plan (TSX: CHR).
You must be legally eligible to work for a Canadian company (e.g., be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident of Canada, or possess a valid work permit), provide a clear Criminal Background Check, and be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 in order to be considered for this position.
Voyageur is an employment equity employer, and we welcome all qualified candidates to apply. If you are excited by this opportunity and want to be a part of the Voyageur Team, we encourage all eligible candidates to apply on our website at www.voyav.com. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.